Chocolate Plunge Fondue
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 C. butter
- 1 12oz package semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Heat sweetened condensed milk, milk and butter in a medium saucepan on medium-low heat until butter is melted.
2. Add chocolate; stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat; add vanilla.
3. Serve immediately in a fondue pot, or a serving dish, to keep warm.
Use fondue forks or skewers for dipping. Serve with:
- cubes of angel food or pound cake
- fruits – apples, pears, cherries, strawberries, oranges, pineapple, bananas, grapes
- cubes of brownies or soft cookies
Pair this chocolate fondue with a heart Merlot, like Francis Coppola Wineries Merlot – a fruity wine perfect with chocolate.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1 oz squares unsweetened chocolate
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Blend sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Gradually stir in milk; add chocolate. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat.
2. In a small mixer bowl, beat egg yolks until very thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in chocolate mixture. Stir in butter and vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
3. Heat oven to 350′. Butter and sugar a 6-cup souffle dish. Make a 4″ band of triple thickness aluminum foil 2″ longer than the circumference of the the dish; butter one side and sprinkle with sugar. Extend the depth of the dish by securing the foil band, buttered side in, around the top of the dish. (A buttered and sugared 2-qt casserole can be used instead of the souffle dish and foil band)
4. In a large mixer bowl, beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar just until stiff peaks form. Stir about 1/4 of egg white mixture into chocolate mixture. Gently fold in remaining whites. Carefully pour into dish.
5. Bake 50 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean. Serve immediately. Carefully and quickly remove foil band and divide souffle into sections with 2 forks.
Try pairing chocolate souffle with an after dinner tea like, India Spice. The mellow spices blend well with the sweet dessert.